Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mixed Media Acrylic Greeting Card "How To" Hastypearl


Mixed Media Greeting Card "How To" 

Hastypearl


Hi Everyone!

I thought it might be fun, to show you a really simple and fun Mixed Media project, 
that you probably already have all of the supplies for.

Remember, it doesn't have to look like mine when you are finished, in fact you don't WANT it to.

This is just a technique, the Creativity, is up to YOU!

Supply list:

Paper any size, or Blank Card
Your favorite Acrylic paints 
Painting  masking tape
Palette knife, or anything with an edge...could even use an old credit card or piece of cardboard
Rubber Stamp 
Stays On Ink or anything that wont smudge off of ...
Waxed Paper
Double Sided tape...I used Ranger Red line
Gold Leafing pen...or anything to make an edge on the waxed paper

Art is like Cooking . You start with a basic recipe, and then you CHANGE IT UP :)

So, as you can see, I used a blank white card for my husbands recent Birthday card!

I taped off the edge and used thinner strips horizontally, through the middle.
You could choose to skip the tape and paint the whole thing, or make a different shape than I did.
Make sure the edges of the tape are really pressed down, so you get a clean edge.

I used a palette knife.
I literally, just put tiny dots of acrylic paint directly on the knife, and smeared them in random patterns.
You can use a heat gun or blow dryer, in between colors, if you want the colors to stay sharp. 
Acrylic dries super fast, so there is almost no waiting in between colors.
Keep working along, until you get the spaces filled in like you want them. 
Feel free, to let some of the paint build up.
You can see that the buttermilk color that I used, is raised and textural.  

Don't lift the tape, yet!
(I lifted some of mine, so that you could see how things progressed) 




After the acrylic dried, I splattered some metallic paints, that are the consistency of a wet water color.
Use what you have!
Your tape is still down, so you can splatter, without worrying about it getting on your white spaces.




After everything is dry, pull your tape up.



My husband likes to fish, so I used a Fred Mullet fish stamp, stamped in Stays On, 
on a piece of waxed paper.
Then I edged the waxed paper with a Gold Leafing Pen.
You could use yarn, thread, wire...anything that you have.



Finally, I taped the fish waxed paper down with the Red line tape. 
Use whatever you have that will be clear.
Place your stamped waxed paper, wherever you want.


I wrote Happy Birthday.
You can write whatever you want!

So, There!
See how easy that was?

This has the potential to be a larger piece...maybe a 5" x 7"...whatever you want!

My only regret about this project, is that I want to get to see what You come up with!
You can see a button on the right of the screen where you can email me and send me pictures of what you make if you would like!

That would be awesome.

There is also a place on the right side, to sign up to receive e-notices that I have posted, 
if you want to follow this hastypearl blog...and I Hope that you Do :)

I don't share those addresses...EVER, and I wont annoy you with tons of postings.


I hope you had fun with this project!
Its fail proof, because there isn't a right or wrong way to do it...
and its great to know, that there are no REAL Licensed Art Police!
Only people that THINK they are ;)
  
Art is about Exploring and Learning...and hopefully having Lots of Fun along the way!

As Always...Thanks for stopping by to hastypearl...

I hope your days are Wonderful!

xoxo Laura








7 comments:

  1. Great project and tutorial Laura. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seth! Fun AND easy is nice now and then, right? :) Laura

      Delete
  2. Great! I am going to try. Thank you for the sharing of this technique ;-)
    Now I follow you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, we are both fast when we try, right Valerie? :) Looking forward to seeing more of your art! Laura

      Delete
  3. Fantastic card! Thanks for sharing this fun technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youre welcome, Dana. Fast and easy and so many ways to vary to your taste! Hope you will give it a try :) Laura

      Delete