Saturday, December 28, 2013

Dance and Swing! Fiber Art Collage Hastypearl

 
 
 
Dance and Swing!
 
Fiber Art Collage
 
 
Hastypearl
 
Dear Readers,
I thought it might be fun, for you to see what I've been up to in the studio!
 
After all of the holiday decorating, and shopping and lists were starting to look complete, I slipped up to the studio, for a quiet time of Playing and Making, for two certain ladies... 
Katherine Anne and Savanna Grace!
 
 
I started with simple Line Drawings.
 
For these two Young ladies, I thought the Dress would be appropriate.
But for you, it could be an Animal, Toy, Flower...Anything!
 
While there are dozens of stitches to be used (and can be Googled), I wanted a very simple and straight forward stitch, to "Draw" the dresses with.
 
 
 
I'm very attracted to the shapes of the 40's and 50's.
Maybe, its because the 50's were when my Mother, was actually sewing dresses like this, for me!
 

 
I have saved fabric scraps for years.
You probably have as well.
Start by cutting and tearing and layering out a composition, that looks good for your collage.
 
I hadn't even thought about it, but my Son pointed out to my Grand, when she was opening this piece, that the floral fabric I used here, was on their sofa, that we had given them.
I love it when those kinds of things happen!
I had inadvertently selected a fabric for Her piece, that I had years ago selected, for myself!

 
Next, comes the really fun part!
 
Dig through your buttons, or notions, laces and trims and continue building your collage.
 
One hint I have learned along the way...
 
Sew your buttons and trims on now, otherwise, they will show through to the back of your piece.
I think it looks much nicer, if there aren't threads and stitches showing on your completed back.
 
I learned that the Hard way...you can thank me later ;)
 
 
Add Words if you like!
 
I was reluctant to use this trendy technique for a long time, but sometimes, it is useful, to develop the theme.
 
I have a weakness tendency, with some pieces, to add and add and add.
With these two pieces, I wanted to keep it very simple and let the Line Drawings, lead.
 
At this point, you can stitch or glue this completed layer down, to your background.
I used a measured, torn piece of watercolor paper, but you can use Anything that you want for your background.
Sometimes, I glue a simple saw tooth hanger on the back.
These pieces are so lightweight, that they can be hung on a wall, with a simple straight pin.
 
For these two pieces, I glued two simple loops of ribbon on the top, for hanging.
 
I love Weldbond glue, for these collage projects.
It dries clear and is Super strong.
I buy Large bottles online.
 
Make sure that you sign and date your piece.
It will serve as a timeline, for the one that you share it with.
 
This piece, didn't really compete this year, with the Nerf gun that my Grand was playing with, but long after the Christmas toy is gone...her piece from Grandmother Pearl, will remain :)
 

 
 
"As to dancing, my dear, I Never dance, unless I am allowed to do it In My Own Peculiar Way.
There is no use trying to describe it:
it has to be seen to be believed.
Did you ever see the Rhinoceros, and the Hippopotamus, at the Zoological Gardens, trying to
dance a minuet together?
It is a touching sight."
 
Lewis Carroll 1873


 
As Always, I'm so glad that you stopped in, to read my Hastypearl blog.
 
I hope that you will try your hand at your Own collage!
Who you share it with, will love that you spent the Time on them.
 
xoxo Laura
 
...oh and...I would love for you to subscribe (see that opportunity, on the right sidebar of the blog) to receive notice of these postings!
 ...And I thank you for your past comments, whether here or on Facebook!
 
You would be surprised, how you can connect with Amazing, Special People, who are blogging away the interesting things that happen in their lives.
I personally, have been blessed by many Wonderful Connections!
 
Now...time is a wasting...Get To DANCING! :) 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Love these, Laura! Very sweet.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to doing them, and hope to play with the idea, some more! Xoxo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. What treasures these little fabric collages are Laura!! Look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the New Year. xo, Suzanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanna, been chatting with God about adding a few hours a day, so we can churn out ALL of the ideas in our heads, but He's not budging. He's kind of set on the 24 hour number! Been a long time follower...Younlead the way:) Laura

    ReplyDelete